About Me

My photo
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
I am a professional cyclist for Drapac Pro Cycling. An Australian registered Pro Continental team. My hometown is Dunedin in New Zealand. I also study business and event management. Racing my bike around the globe aiming to get to the highest level in the sport.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Japan!

Konnichiwa!
I got selected for a New Zealand national team to travel to Japan for the Odaiba Cycle Festival.
It was held on the weekend of 3rd and 4th August.

I raced in a U23 criterium (circuit race) , 1 lap time trial and elite criterium in that order.

The Saturday U23 criterium was very hard. I just cooked and over heated in the 30-35deg temperatures after coming from our winter. That afternoon Lauren Ellis won the women's race from an awesome break.

On Sunday morning the time trial went better it was short and sweet and only 800m. I took the win after a good start and good turn.

On Sunday afternoon was the main event the elite men's criterium. The weather was again very hot.
To combat it we had ice cold towels and water during warm up.
Before the race I put soaked my top in the ice bucket and by lap 6 in the race it was dry!

I felt much better during the race and had strong legs. There were many crashes with riders dive bombing the hair pin corner. The last lap was dangerous but I stayed right at the front and made my move around the big sweeper corner with 350m to go. I hit the last corner 1st and powered up the uphill drag to the line to hold 1st place.

Big thanks to our Japanese hosts for a fantastic event. Everything ran smoothly and was well organised.
Other highlights on the trip was a night cruise on Tokyo Harbour. And also a tour around the Tokyo on Monday where we got to go up Tokyo Tower.

Taking the win!


No comments:

Post a Comment